PATHWAY diversions for pedestrians around St James’ Square are changing this week, as work continues on the redesign of the area.
The latest phase of the £1.8m transformation of the Square into a more family-friendly and accessible space centres upon the area near Cartergate, in front of St James’ Hotel and towards the Wilko’s building.
To allow for excavation and repaving, from Wednesday, July 29 for up to two weeks, pedestrians wanting to access the town centre will be taken on two main routes:
- Route 1: from the Cartergate underpass around the back of St James’ House and back into the town centre via Bethlehem Street. This area will be well lit and kept clean.
- Route 2: from Cartergate, across Frederick Ward Way and into the Freshney Place shopping centre entrance at Friargate Mall (which also includes an entrance to the market). This route is open from 9am – 5.30pm Monday to Saturday and 10.30am – 4.30pm on Sundays.
Signage will guide people through the diversions.
Once the initial works have been completed, diversion Route One will change for a further three to six weeks to take people in front of St James’ House, around the Minster and into town at the Minster side of the Wilko’s building. This will enable the repaving in front of the hotel.
Pedestrians from West Marsh are reminded that they can walk to the town centre through Brighowgate, over Deansgate Bridge or across Frederick Ward Way and into Freshney Place.
Pleased at the progress of the Square’s transformation, which is being managed on behalf of North East Lincolnshire Council by its regeneration partner ENGIE, the authority’s Cabinet member for regeneration, Cllr John Fenty, said: “Yes, this will cause a slightly longer walking route into the town centre, but we assure those pedestrians that it will be worth it. Having viewed the work so far and the plans, the change is going to be terrific. This will be a Square in which we can all take great pride.”
Welcoming the work, Paul George, Deputy Operations Manager at St James’ Hotel, said: “Since our re-opening at the beginning of July, following lockdown, business here has been good and we see that continuing in the weeks and months ahead. People have noticed the work taking place outside as they have been arriving and are supportive of it, as we are. We cannot wait for the new-look Square to be unveiled and are happy to make arrangements whilst the diversions are in place. Once complete, this Square will provide a lovely place for our guests to enjoy, complementing the wonderful view we have of the Minster.”
The £1.8m of work, which includes new paving, street furniture, landscaping, CCTV and lighting, and is within the Heritage Action Zone, (HAZ), is supported by funding secured by the Humber Local Enterprise Partnership (Humber LEP) as part of the Government’s commitment to the Northern Powerhouse.
Further monies from the Cultural Development Fund, (CDF), which is funded by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport and administered by Arts Council England was awarded to introduce creativity into the Square. That work is being led by Our Big Picture Ltd.